Invitation to Participate™: Kennedy Middle School Math Tutor Program
2016-2017 School Year
Release Date: May 11, 2015
Description: Alignment Rockford's College Readiness Team is seeking math tutors for 6th grade students at Kennedy Middle School. Tutors will work with students for one hour, one time per week during their regularly scheduled math class during the 2016-2017 school year. The school day takes place 8:45am to 3:45pm.Tutoring time of day will vary according to students' schedules.
Tutoring sessions will take place outside of the classroom, in a designated common area within the school. Tutors will be provided training and curriculum/instructional materials aligned with the students' current grade level math class. Tutors will work directly with Kennedy Middle School's Math Educational Leader to coordinate tutoring sessions and curriculum.
The Need: Become a tutor and help sixth grade students bolster their confidence in math! Students who are on track in middle school are significantly better prepared for college-level math by high school graduation.
Why: Engage students in small groups to bring understanding to math lessons and mentor students to show how middle school math concepts and education in general apply to life and work.
When: 2016-2017 school year; one hour per week
Where: Kennedy Middle School, 520 N. Pierpont Ave., Rockford
What: Are you good at math? That's all you need to know. We will provide training materials and tips for working with students prior to the school year. Kennedy's Math Education Leader will provide the lessons that students are working on prior to each session. Tutors will work with students to help work through current lessons that they may be having trouble with.
Who: Tutors will work with two 6th grade students who are identified by faculty as needing additional assistance with the lessons at hand.
Services Needed from the Community:
Tutors will work with identified individual students that are currently performing just below proficiency to reinforce math lessons, develop math skills, and increase confidence.
Expectations include the following:
- Have a passion for math and its applications in everyday life.
- Commit to tutoring students one day, one time per week during the 2015-2016 school-year
- Meet weekly for a 50 minute class period with two students.
- Collaborate with math teachers and staff to support math curriculum.
- Selected mentors/companies will be notified by August 3rd, 2015.
- A training session for mentors will take place prior to the first day of school.
- Tutors must be willing to submit to a background check.
- Tutors will be encouraged to attend a program kick-off event at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year where you will meet the students.
- Tutors will begin regularly scheduled weekly tutoring sessions starting mid-September.
- Tutors will have access to appropriate teaching materials and curriculum information.
Primary Outcomes supported by this Invitation to Participate™ (ITP™):
- Short term outcome
- 100% of students participating in Tutor Program will get a 'C' or higher in 6th grade math.
- 30 students will participate in Tutor programs in 6th grade for the duration of the 2015-2016 school year.
- 15 mentors will participate in the math Tutor program for the duration of the 2015-2016 school year.
- Students participating in Tutor program will have an attendance rate higher than the host school average.
- 100% of students participating in the Tutor program indicate an increase in confidence regarding their math skills.
- Participating students will have an increase in their math DEA RAW scores by 30% during the 6th grade year.
- Mid-term outcome
- 80% of students participating in Tutor Program in 6th grade will go on to successfully complete 9th grade Algebra.
- Participating students will have an increase in their math DEA RAW scores by 20% during the 7th grade year.
- Participating students will have an increase in their math DEA RAW scores by 20% during the 8th grade year.
- By the 2017-2018 school year the pilot school will have a fully implemented 6th - 8th grade math Tutor program.
- Long term outcome
- 100% of participating students test ready for college level math in their junior year.
- 100% of students participating in Tutor program for three years pass 9th grade Algebra with a 'C' or above.